FTP - File Transfer Protocol. Unlike HTTP, FTP does not go through all the "handshaking", it just blasts away. There are MANY FTP Managers out there, try a few and see which one is best for you.
This years results can be found by viewing the thread - [POLL] What FTP manager do you use?
Our member's #1 choice for FTP Managers is WS_FTP Pro
by IPSwitch. It is the most popular FTP manager used by developers world-wide. WS_FTP Pro is a paid product @ $49.99. WS_FTP Pro has an impressive features list, you can review it by going here
WS_FTP Pro System Requirements:
- Windows® 98 SE/NT/2000/Me/XP/2003
- 16MB of RAM for Windows 98 SE and 32MB for Windows NT/2000/Me/XP/2003
- 8MB of disk space
Note - a 16-bit version for Windows 3.1 is available.
The #2 choice by our members is FileZilla
. FileZilla is a free, GNU General Public License (GPL), and easy to use FTP Manager.
- Computer/Processor: Pentium 3 or greater
- Operating System: Windows XP Professional or Home Edition, 2000 Professional, NT 4.0 Workstation, Me, 98/98SE
- Memory: not listed
- Disk Space: 2 MB
Filezilla features include:
- Ability to resume Uploads/Downloads (if the server supports it)
- Custom Commands
- Site Manager with folders
- Keep Alive system
- Timeout detection
- Firewall support
- SOCKS4/5 and HTTP1.1 Proxy support
- SSL secured connections
- SFTP support
- Upload/Download Queue
- Multi-language support
- GSS authentication and encryption using Kerberos
Other FTP Managers include:CuteFTPFlashFXPSmartFTP
Plus MANY more!
by dadkins edited by lilhurricane
last modified: 2007-09-29 10:45:16